Saturday, April 25, 2009

Duplicate Content Penalty - Is it just BS?

OK. So here is my thought on the subject.

The Duplicate Content Penalty is BS.

So, some of you might be saying 'What is this Duplicate Content Penalty?'

The duplicate content penalty is something that has been tossed around for years that says that the search engines will penalise you if you have a piece of content on one of your web pages that is the same as a piece of content on a web page on another website.

It doesn't happen.

If it did happen, article directories like ezinearticles would not exist. I have many articles on ezinearticles that are also on my web design website. I have posted these articles on other article directories as well.

I don't see ezinearticles suffering too much from this duplicate content.

If the duplicate content penalty existed I could quite conceivably put the article directories out of business by posting my articles to as many of them as I possibly could so that they all got hammered by Google for having duplicate content. Ridiculous.

On a number of occasions I have had one of my articles picked up by manta. I like it when that happens. They are a PR6 website with about 5 million unique visitors per month. So, they get one of my articles of ezinearticles and republish it on their website.

Doesn't seem like they are too worried about a duplicate content penalty.

So, if you have some really good content and you are worried about putting it out there because you don't want to get penalised for duplicate content - TAKE OFF THE HANDCUFFS.

There is a whole lot of link love you are missing out on. I regularly use 4-5 article directories for each article I write. I often put content up on Squidoo as a lens. I write eHow articles from my content. I put content on my blog that is on my website and vice versa.

If you have been holding yourself back because you have been worried about getting penalised for duplicate content - STOP. It won't happen.

The Real Duplicate Content Penalty

OK. So here is what you don't do. Create a website with 100 pages, 1 page of unique content and 99 pages of copy. Google won't love you.

That is the duplicate content penalty.

It is generally accepted that the Google algorithm takes into account the size of your website. It stands to reason that a 1000 page website would have more authority than a 1 page website.

Now, don't get me wrong it is entirely possible to get a 1 page website to rank well in the search engines.

But, it must be unique content. That is what duplicate content is all about.

So, use your content. Submit it to article directories. Make a squiddo lens. Write some eHow articles. Make a blog.

Use your content to create links back to your website to bring traffic and to help you rank better in the search engines.

Create some link love for your website.


Duplicate Content Penalty - Is it just BS?SocialTwist Tell-a-Friend

No comments:

Post a Comment